Mostly listened to this session and was entertained by the banter between James and Matt. Here’s some tips and selection process that they concluded with.
- Don’t load everything on the first page load
- Slower machines can mean slower clients…know your users
- Don’t use for sites…use applications
- Be aware of the file size of the resulting artifact. They can get pretty big.
- Work with designers that know how to create RIA (or desktop) clients…not Web apps!
How to choose an RIA framework?
- Prioritize a list of features that are important to the application
- Pick 3-4 frameworks and do a 1-week spike for each, deploying the same application
- Document and rank each framework against the list of features
- Calculate and choose!
- GWT is a good alternative for Java developers without a lot of Web development experience (JS/CSS)